Sunday, December 7, 2014

PBJ's - 15 Days of Christmas/Day #2

The little things sure make the entire experience worth while. I love the holidays and spending them with little people in my life too... Here's a DIY idea that will warm your heart and decorate your tree for years to come, bringing a smile at the memories of your little one's hand.


PBJ has YOU in mind this season! 15 Days of Christmas from PBJ to YOU!




Here’s one of my favorite DIY’s for the holidays, so fun to make :)
Earlier this week I made several Salt Dough Ornaments with my husband & daughter while listening to Christmas tunes….it was awesome. I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to share the awesomeness with you. If you haven’t made salt dough ornaments before, they’re really easy to make and are a fun activity. Since our daughter is growing like a weed, we make salt dough handprint ornaments every Christmas so we can preserve her little print. (I’m looking at last years ornament right now with a big grin: she was 9 months old and the print is so small!) Not only do we love the handprint ornaments but so do her grandparents, who will be receiving these each year.
In addition to handprints, we also make random things like cats, dogs, gators, gorillas….you name it. They cost like a penny to make, so go for it..be creative! Heck, I may just make a T-Rex rocking a wig next…to be determined :)
Speaking of being ‘creative’, I also had one big fat Salt Dough Fail …which is at the bottom of this post. Now onto the handprint ornament instructions …

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (more if needed, I go off consistency…not too sticky)
  • 1 CUP SALT
  • 1 CUP WATER

 GOODIES (OPTIONAL)

  • COOKIE CUTTERS
  • CRAFT PAINT
  • GLITTER
  • STRAW
  • RIBBON
  • CLEAR COAT SPRAY PAINT
  • FABRIC/SPRAY ADHESIVE FOR BACK

INSTRUCTIONS:

  • MIX THE FLOUR & SALT TOGETHER IN A BOWL (I used a mixing bowl so that the mixer could do all the work)
  • GRADUALLY ADD THE WATER. This should make a dough similar to Play-Doh.
  • ROLL DOUGH OUT.  I rolled mine out on wax paper so it would be less of a mess & so that I could transfer them easily to the tray.
  • CUT OUT SHAPES. I used a variety of cookie cutters. Since I wanted to make an imprint of my daughters hand, I found an extra large star cutter for this particular ornament.
  • PRESS HAND INTO DOUGH
  • MAKE HOLE @ TOP USING STRAW
  • BAKE. I baked mine at 275 degrees for about 2 hours. May have to adjust cooking time depending on how thick/ big you make the ornaments. Others I know have baked them at a lower temp for longer (200 degrees for over 2 hours) but the higher temp is what worked well for me for this particular size.
  • LET THEM COOL
  • PAINT-BEDAZZLE-HAVE FUN! I used craft paint on mine & plan to finish them off with some spray clear coat to preserve the color and add a bit of shine. To make it look extra cute, you can glue (or use spray adhesive) fabric/seasonal paper to the back of the ornament.
***With this amount of dough, I was able to make several ornaments; enough for myself & all the grandparents.


HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM PBJ | Photography By Judi! 

Book Your Holiday Photo Session NOW! judi@photographybyjudi.com or visit us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/photographybyjudi






Check out more pics on PBJ's Photo Gallery











Judi Cahill | PBJ | Photography By Judi


Professional Photography Services


e: (310) 941-8441 | e:judi@photographybyjudi.com | ig: instagram.com/photographybyjudi | fb:facebook.com/photographybyjudi | ws: www.photographybyjudi.com






No comments:

Post a Comment